Thanks to one of our favorite food blogger Usidamen Daniel, we are bringing you South African Brown Pudding recipe. It is called ‘Bruinpoeding’ meaning ‘Brown Pudding’, in South Africa.
Prep time 10 m Cook time 1 h 10 m Total time 1 h 20 m Serves 16
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Beat 2 cups sugar and eggs with an electric mixer in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, vinegar, and apricot jam. Pour in 2 cups of milk and stir until well combined. Spoon the batter into a greased, 2 quart oven-proof baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 60 to 70 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Pierce the baked pudding several times with a skewer or fork.
- Place 1 cup sugar, water, 1 cup milk, butter, and vanilla in a saucepan and stir over medium heat.
- When the mixture comes to a boil remove it from the heat and slowly pour the mixture over the hot pudding. Serve warm.